Wednesday, February 3, 2010

These are a Few of My Favorite Things...

Well, maybe not a few but definitely one of my new FAVORITE things! This cookbook was a Christmas gift from Ryan's Mom and I have read it and re-read it and tried LOTS of the recipes...so fun! My kids love "her" version of Egg-in-A-Hole and I'm in LOVE with the French Breakfast Puffs. Try them out, I swear they will not fail you! I'm taking her advise and freezing the leftovers, I will let you know how that works out!
Sunday is usually a big meal night and this Sunday was no exception...and we did it Pioneer Woman style. As a side note, Cooper will eat ANYTHING out of this cookbook because she's a rancher's wife...and she cooks for COWBOYS. Anyway, Sunday night I made her Perfect Pot Roast, PW's Creamy Mashed Potatoes AND Life by Chocolate Cupcakes!
Oh. My. Goodness. I know, roast? Who gets excited about roast? But really, make this the next time you have company...it was amazing! The mashed potatoes were great too, but we probably couldn't have eaten 1/2 the recipe...so don't make the full batch unless you are feeding your entire neighborhood. The cupcakes made 18 and I could have used 1/2 of the ganache...you can't possibly use the whole recipe unless you are slathering your body in it. Hope you enjoy...we did!
Perfect Pot Roast
3 to 5 pound chuck roast (generously salt on both sides)
2 onions (peel paper and chop in half)
8 carrots (rough chop...don't peel)
2 to 2 1/2 cups beef stock
4 fresh rosemary sprigs
3 fresh thyme sprigs
  1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
  2. Heat large pot and at 2 T. olive oil...get really hot.
  3. Toss onions in and brown about a minute on both sides...remove.
  4. Toss in carrots, brown about a minute on both sides and remove.
  5. Get pot hot again and add another T. olive oil.
  6. Place meat in and sear on both sides about 1 minute each and remove.
  7. Deglaze pot with 1 cup of beef stock and then add meet back in with carrots and onions.
  8. Pour in more stock to cover meat halfway.
  9. Put it thyme and rosemary.
  10. Cover and roast 3 to 5 hours, depending on size of roast.
PW's Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Here's the ingredients...I don't think you can mess up the preparation, but if you need exact recipe let me know!
5 pounds russet or Yukon gold (peeled and boiled)
12 T. Butter
8 oz. Cream Cheese
3/4 C. half-and-half
1/2 teas. seasoned salt
salt and pepper to taste
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing the pot roast recipe... i have actually been trying (and failing) to make a good pot roast for months now! i will now try yours and i'm sure it will be great!

    ReplyDelete